|Butter Chicken Recipe: Serves 4-6 (Preheat oven to 250°C)|
|1kg chicken thigh fillets||¼ (60ml) white vinegar or lemon juice|
|⅓ cup coriander seeds||2-inch cinnamon stick, broken into smaller pieces|
|5 brown or black cardamom pods||10 green cardamom pods|
|1 teaspoon whole cloves||3 teaspoons ground turmeric|
|2 teaspoons chili powder||2 teaspoons paprika|
|1 teaspoon ground nutmeg||1 teaspoon ground mace|
|¼ cup (60g) plain (natural) whole-milk yogurt||2½ tablespoons crushed garlic|
|2½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger||2½ tablespoons vegetable oil|
|salt to taste|
|½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil and melted unsalted butter combined||1kg yellow (brown) onions, about 6 medium, peeled and chopped|
|1 teaspoon salt, plus extra salt to taste||2½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger|
|2½ tablespoons crushed garlic||2 teaspoons chili powder|
|3 teaspoons ground turmeric||2 teaspoons chopped fresh green chilies|
|1kg tomatoes, about 7 medium, chopped and pureed in blender or food processor||⅔ cup (150ml) heavy (double) cream|
|¼ cup (60g) unsalted butter||4 teaspoons honey|
|2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves||15g chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)|
- Cut chicken fillets into quarters. In a glass or ceramic bowl, combine chicken with 4 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice and turn to coat. Set aside.
- In a spice grinder, grind coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves to a powder. Place in a bowl and combine with turmeric, chili powder, paprika, nutmeg, mace, remaining vinegar or lemon juice, yogurt, garlic, ginger, and oil, and mix well. Season with salt and add to chicken. Mix well, cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Oil a shallow roasting pan and place chicken pieces in the pan in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven without turning for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the sauce: In a deghchi or large frying pan, heat the oil and butter mixture over medium-low heat. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add chili powder, turmeric, and chilies, and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, uncovered, stirring often, until tomatoes are soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add cream and butter to the pan, and cook, stirring, until the butter melts. Stir in chicken, honey, and fenugreek, and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro. Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve immediately.
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with the irresistible Butter Chicken recipe
This rich and flavorful dish boasts succulent chicken thigh fillets, marinated to perfection in a blend of aromatic spices, tangy yogurt, and zesty lemon juice. The star-studded marinade features a medley of coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, turmeric, chili powder, paprika, nutmeg, mace, and more, creating a symphony of taste.
After a delightful marinating session, the chicken fillets are baked to perfection in a preheated oven, resulting in tender and juicy pieces that are bursting with flavor.
Butter Chicken’s exquisite sauce takes center stage with a luscious mixture of caramelized onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, and a blend of enticing spices. The addition of pureed tomatoes and double cream adds a velvety texture, elevating the dish to the height of indulgence.
To add a touch of sweetness, honey is carefully incorporated, while dried fenugreek leaves contribute their distinctive flavor to the mix. Finally, fresh cilantro provides a burst of freshness that perfectly complements the rich flavors of the dish.
Serve this delightful Butter Chicken alongside aromatic rice or freshly baked naan, and savor the symphony of tastes that will transport you to a culinary paradise. Experience the magic of this classic Indian favorite, lovingly prepared to bring joy to your table.