|Briyani Rice Recipe: Serves 4|
|500g Basmati rice||2 to 3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter|
|1 large onion, finely chopped||½g saffron strands (buy at Little India)|
|10cm cinnamon stick||8 cardamom pods, smashed to open|
|10 cloves||2 tablespoons black and golden raisins|
|2 tablespoons cashew nuts, halved||4 cups chicken stock or water|
|2 tablespoons rose water (buy at Little India)||1 to 1½ teaspoons salt|
|3 stalks coriander leaves|
- 10 shallots, peeled, sliced, and deep-fried in 1 cup vegetable oil until golden brown
- Wash and drain rice.
- Heat ghee in a wok; add chopped onion and stir-fry until limp.
- Add cinnamon stick, cardamoms, and cloves. Fry until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add rice and saffron strands; stir-fry well until the rice is dry and well coated with ghee (takes 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add raisins and cashew nuts; stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, rose water, salt, and coriander leaves. Stir well and cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook over high heat until the water boils. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add meat curry (may refer to More Indian Recipes for Briyani Curry) and spread it over the rice. Cover. (Alternatively, use a rice cooker: Fry the rice mixture in the rice cooker, then steam as usual).
- Continue to cook, with heat on low for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish cooked rice with deep-fried shallots.
- Serve with Briyani Curry, Cucumber Raita, and pickles.
- You can cook the rice and the meat separately instead of cooking in the traditional method as described above.
Embark on a delightful culinary journey with our Briyani Rice recipe
A tantalizing dish that brings the rich flavors of Indian cuisine to your table. This aromatic rice dish features Basmati rice, known for its long and slender grains, combined with a fragrant medley of spices and garnished with crispy deep-fried shallots. With every spoonful, you’ll savor the perfect balance of textures and spices, transporting your taste buds to a world of culinary delight.
To create this masterpiece, we begin by washing and draining the Basmati rice, ensuring its pristine quality. In a wok, we melt the ghee and stir-fry finely chopped onions until they turn limp and golden. The tantalizing fragrance of cinnamon, cardamom pods, and cloves fills the air as we add these spices to the wok, elevating the dish with their warm and aromatic essence.
The Basmati rice joins the ensemble, along with the saffron strands, absorbing the richness of ghee while being stirred to perfection. As the rice becomes dry and evenly coated, we introduce black and golden raisins, and halved cashew nuts, adding a delightful burst of sweetness and crunch.
The magic truly begins as we pour in the chicken stock or water, infusing the rice with moisture and aromatic rose water. A pinch of salt and a handful of fresh coriander leaves complete the symphony of flavors, creating a vibrant and irresistible mixture.
Cooking the Briyani Rice is a labor of love, as we let the ingredients simmer and meld into perfection. Whether using the traditional stovetop method or a modern rice cooker, the result is a masterpiece that you’ll be eager to share with family and friends.
To elevate the dish to new heights, we garnish the cooked rice with deep-fried shallots, adding a delectable crispiness to each serving. Enjoy this enticing Briyani Rice alongside our Briyani Curry, cooling Cucumber Raita, and flavorful pickles for a complete and unforgettable Indian feast.
Prepare to savor a truly exceptional culinary experience with our Briyani Rice—a harmonious blend of flavors and textures that will leave you yearning for more.