|Beef Vindaloo Recipe: Serves 4-6|
|5 dried red chilies, broken into small pieces||1 teaspoon cumin seeds|
|1 tablespoon black peppercorns||1½ tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger|
|1½ tablespoons crushed garlic||½ teaspoon ground turmeric|
|¾ cup (180ml) vegetable oil and melted unsalted butter combined||750g yellow (brown) onions, about 4½ medium, finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon salt, plus extra salt to taste||1kg beef chuck, excess fat removed, cut into 1½-inch pieces|
|About 4 cups water||4 fresh green chilies, slit lengthwise|
|½ cup white vinegar||½ teaspoon tamarind concentrate|
|½ teaspoon sugar||Steamed basmati rice, for serving|
- In a spice grinder, grind dried chilies, cumin seeds, and peppercorns to a powder. Place in a bowl and combine with ginger, garlic, and turmeric. Set aside.
- In a karhai or frying pan, heat the oil and butter mixture over medium-low heat. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt, and cook, uncovered, stirring often, until onions are dark golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add beef. Cook, turning beef pieces, for 5 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in enough water to cover the beef. Add fresh chilies and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over low heat, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by half, about an hour.
- Stir in vinegar, tamarind, and sugar. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Cook, uncovered, until the sauce reduces and thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Get ready to embark on a flavor-packed journey with our Beef Vindaloo recipe
Originating from the Indian state of Goa, this mouthwatering dish showcases tender chunks of beef chuck simmered to perfection in a rich and aromatic spice blend. The combination of dried red chilies, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fresh ginger, and garlic infuses the meat with a tantalizing heat and depth of taste.
To create this culinary masterpiece, we begin by grinding dried chilies, cumin seeds, and peppercorns into a fragrant powder. We then mix it with finely grated ginger, crushed garlic, and ground turmeric, forming the heart of our Vindaloo spice mixture.
In a karhai or frying pan, we gently cook finely chopped yellow onions until they transform into a rich, dark golden brown, releasing a sweet and savory aroma that sets the stage for the rest of the dish. With the heat turned up, we introduce succulent beef chuck pieces to the pan, allowing them to sear and develop a delightful crust.
With the beef sizzling away, we add the Vindaloo spice mixture, filling the kitchen with an enchanting fragrance. To ensure the meat becomes tender and succulent, we add enough water to cover it, along with fresh green chilies for an extra kick.
Over low heat, we let the flavors meld and the liquid reduce, creating a luscious sauce that coats the beef in spicy goodness. The final touch comes from the addition of white vinegar, tamarind concentrate, and a hint of sugar, balancing the dish’s heat with a delightful tang.
Once the sauce reaches its ideal thickness, we serve this tantalizing Beef Vindaloo hot with steamed basmati rice, allowing you to relish every scrumptious bite. Elevate your dining experience with this classic Indian delight—a dish that brings together an array of flavors to delight your taste buds.