|Almond Lamb Curry Recipe: Serves 4|
|500g boneless leg of lamb||200g blanched almonds|
|2 teaspoons poppy seeds||30g tamarind pulp|
|2 tablespoons oil||3 cloves|
|2 cinnamon sticks||3 green cardamom pods|
|8 curry leaves||2 medium onions, chopped|
|2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste* (refer below)||2 medium tomatoes, chopped|
|½ teaspoon ground turmeric||3 teaspoons ground coriander|
|2 teaspoons red chili powder||1 teaspoon salt, or to taste|
|20 almond slivers, lightly toasted||Coriander (cilantro) sprigs, to garnish|
- Cut the lamb into 4-cm pieces.
- Soak the almonds in warm water to cover for 10 minutes, then drain and blend to a paste with the poppy seeds, using a blender or mini-processor.
- Soak the tamarind pulp in 4 tablespoons warm water for 20 minutes, then strain through a fine sieve.
- Heat the oil in a deep sauté pan, add the whole spices and curry leaves, and sauté until the spices crackle.
- Add the chopped onions and fry until softened and golden brown in color.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes to lose the raw taste.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the powdered spices and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, adding a little water if needed.
- Add the lamb and sauté to seal on all sides.
- Add salt and 200ml water. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the almond paste and tamarind liquid, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lamb is cooked, adding a little water if the sauce is too thick.
- Serve sprinkled with almonds and coriander (cilantro) sprigs.
This widely used Indian ingredient is easy to prepare. Simply blend equal quantities of peeled garlic and ginger with 10% of the total weight in water, using a blender or mini-processor. The resulting paste should be smooth and very fine. Store it in a sealed container in the fridge. For longer storage, you can add 5% vegetable oil and 2% lemon juice as you blend the paste, which will improve its keeping quality and lighten its color. To ensure convenience, you can freeze ginger-garlic paste in an ice-cube tray for future use.
Indulge in the rich flavors of our Almond Lamb Curry recipe
An authentic Indian delight that will take your taste buds on a culinary journey. This aromatic lamb curry is prepared with tender boneless leg of lamb, which is cooked to perfection in a tantalizing blend of whole spices, curry leaves, and onions, creating a symphony of flavors that will enchant your senses.
The star ingredient, blanched almonds, is transformed into a luscious paste with poppy seeds, lending a nutty creaminess to the curry. The addition of tamarind pulp adds a delightful tang, balancing the spice and richness of the dish.
With each bite, you’ll savor the tantalizing combination of ground turmeric, ground coriander, red chili powder, and ginger-garlic paste that infuses the lamb with a burst of Indian flavors. The final touch of toasted almond slivers and fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs adds a delightful crunch and an aromatic freshness to the dish.
Serve this Almond Lamb Curry with steamed rice or Indian bread, and experience the authentic taste of India in the comfort of your own home. Delight your family and guests with this flavorful masterpiece, and savor the rich tapestry of Indian cuisine.